The Compact, Ultra Wide-angle Specialist
Based on a classic design from 1952, the silver C Biogon T* 21mm f/4.5 ZM from ZEISS is a super wide-angle prime for M-mount rangefinder cameras. Its 'C' designation reflects the lens's compact form factor and classic optical design to produce imagery with true color fidelity and natural rendering. The Biogon optical concept helps to ensure virtually no distortion, and this eight elements, six groups layout also maintains a high degree of sharpness and clarity. Additionally, a T* anti-reflective coating has also been applied to reduce lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast in strong lighting conditions.
- Virtually distortion-free optics. Dramatic perspectives and a view from extraordinary image angles – SLR lenses from Carl Zeiss open up new composition possibilities. Distortion would disrupt the composition because straight lines, whose image does not go through the image center, would be reproduced with a curved shape. This annoying effect is accordingly and largely compensated through elaborate optical designs at all focal lengths.
- Excellent image quality. The Carl Zeiss range of T* ZM-mount lenses offers the highest possible standards in terms of performance, reliability and, of course, image quality. Quite simply, they are superior in every way. You can count on highly advanced flare control for crisp and brilliant images, for example. And virtually zero geometric distortion, ensuring precise accuracy when reproducing shapes – especially useful when photographing products and architecture.
- Robust design. The mount and control elements of all ZM lenses are made of metal and are designed for decades of intensive use. The high-quality craftsmanship of the all-metal mounts, the easy-to-grip metal focus and aperture ring and the robust front bayonet and filter threads ensure an amazing photographic experience.
- Smooth, precise focusing. Manually focusing a lens means controlling the image result from your fingertips. A good ergonomic design makes all the difference. The user-friendly focusing ring on ZEISS lenses with an ergonomic finger rest is perfect for fast, precise focusing. Changes are immediately visible in the viewfinder. The high-quality focusing mechanism moves smoothly without play, thus also supporting the intuitive interaction with the focal plane.
- Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating. All lens elements in lenses from Carl Zeiss feature the T* anti-reflective coating and an optical design that produces brilliant pictures even in unfavorable lighting conditions. We vacuum deposit very thin, transparent coats on the surfaces of the lens elements to make them anti-reflective. Special substances, one by one, are vaporized with very high energy in a high vacuum, which are then deposited on the glass surface as a coating with precisely controlled thicknesses to achieve the desired reduction of reflections. The first coatings were applied by Carl Zeiss back in the 1930s.
||f/4.5 - f/22 (1/3 steps)
|Number of elements/groups
||8 / 6
||0.5m - infinity
|Minimum distance focus
||1.6' / 50 cm
|Image ratio at close range
||1 : 20
|Length with caps **
* referring to 35mm format
** dimensions and weight may vary according to the camera mount.
Trade-ins are welcome!