- 51.4MP CMOS Sensor - 43.8 x 32.8 mm
- Prime III Image Processor
- Anti-Alias Filter-Less Design
- 3.2" 1037K Dot Tiltable Air-Gapless LCD
- Full HD 1080 60i/30p/24p Video Capture
- ISO Sensitivity Range of 100 - 204,800
- SAFOX II TTL 27 Point Autofocus System
- 3 fps Continuous Shooting
- Weather Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body
- Pentax Flucard and Eye-Fi Compatible
The 645Z Medium Format DSLR Camera from Pentax features a 43.8 x 32.8 mm CMOS sensor with 51.4 effective megapixels. The sensor is designed without an anti-aliasing filter to maximize sharpness and details. RAW files can be recorded at 14-bit and saved using either the proprietary PEF format or Adobe's DNG format.
An ISO range from 100-204,800 and high S/N ratio provides low noise, low light capability, and the Prime III image processor lends itself to fast image capture with a maximum of 3 fps continuous shooting. The SAFOX II autofocus module utilizes 27 autofocus points including 25 cross-type sensors and 3 AF sensors dedicated for low light focusing. The new Real Time Scene Analysis System features an 86,000 pixel RGB light-metering sensor for enhanced accuracy of exposure, white balance, and auto-focusing.
Full HD 1080 60i/30p/24p video capture is supported in the H.264 format with a dedicated button for instant switchover from stills to video. An external microphone jack enables high quality audio recording with manual sound level control and monitoring. An HDMI port outputs HD images to HDTVs and a USB 3.0 jack enables fast image transfer to your computer. Interval recording for time-lapse videos is supported with an output of UHD 4K resolution.
A 3.2", 1037k-dot, tilting, air-gapless, LCD monitor enables live view composition and playback viewing from a various angles and a trapezoid-shaped glass prism viewfinder with Kepler telescope-type eyepiece unit provides traditional eye-level composition. The design of the viewfinder also helps to achieve the relatively compact size of this medium format camera. The 645Z is extremely durable with an aluminum alloy chassis, magnesium alloy shell, and 76 specific weather seals to keep out moisture and dust. It is a camera designed for field as well as studio and can operate in temperatures from 14-104°F.
The camera body also features a deep set ergonomic grip, ideal for hand-held shooting, easy-to-access buttons, and a top-plate, sub-LCD screen that is angled up for easier visibility of camera information. A hot shoe mount is supported, and in addition to the tripod socket on the camera's base, a second tripod socket is located on the side of the camera for convenient and stable tripod shooting in the vertical position. Two SD slots are provided for versatile image storage and both Flucards and Eye-Fi cards are compatible for wireless image transfer. The optional Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software along with the USB 3.0 output enable seamless and fast tethered shooting.
The 645Z is compatible with the new FA autofocus lenses as well as older 645 lenses and with Pentax 67 medium format lenses when used with an adapter.
- 51.4 MP CMOS Sensor
- The 645Z offers a 43.8 x 32.8 mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor, which is ideal for ultra-high resolution imaging, large printing applications, and cropping flexibility. Compared to a CCD sensor, a CMOS sensor provides higher ISO sensitivity, expanded uses for live view, faster continuous shooting, and improved movie recording capabilities.
- Anti-Aliasing Filter-Less Design
- The optical, low-pass, anti-aliasing filter found in most CMOS sensors has been removed from the 645Z design to maximize image sharpness and fine details.
- RAW Capture
- RAW files can be recorded at 14-bit and saved using either the proprietary PEF format or Adobe's DNG format for greater post-production control and flexibility.
- Prime III Image Processor
- The 645Z offers a fast frame rate of 3.0 fps, quick image processing to rapidly review images, and swift image transfer with USB 3.0 computer connection.
- ISO 100 to 204800
- A sensitivity range from ISO 100 to 204800 along with enhanced noise reduction capabilities enables effective low-light capture.
- Full HD 1080 Video Capture
- The 645Z supports full HD movie capture in the H.264 format at 60i, 30p and 24p, including the ability to switch from still image to video recording with the flip of a dedicated switch. Equipped with a built-in stereo microphone and a terminal for external microphone connection, the user can also adjust the audio recording level manually and visually monitor sound levels during recording.
- Interval Shooting with 4K Output
- In-camera time lapse sequences can also be recorded using the built-in intervalometer, allowing up to 2000 shots to be recorded with 2 second to 24 hour delays, and output as 4K (3840 x 2160) files.
- 3.2" 1,037k-dot Tilting Air-Gapless LCD
- A 3.2", 1,037k-dot, air-gapless, LCD monitor is available and features a tilting design (-35° down and +125° upward) to benefit use from high or low viewing positions. An electronic level gauge can be utilized with either the viewfinder or LCD monitor during shooting, and when working in live view, a variety of grid overlays and manual focus peaking can be used for greater focusing accuracy.
- Pentaprism Viewfinder
- A large, trapezoidal-shaped, glass pentaprism with Kepler telescope-type eyepiece enables bright and clear eye-level finding with 98% frame coverage.
- SAFOX II Autofocus Module
- The SAFOX II autofocus module maximizes 27 AF sensors and a vast light sensitivity range of -3EV to +18EV. The new focus module includes 25 cross sensors and three AF sensors dedicated to low light focusing.
- Real Time Scene Analysis with 86,000 Pixel Sensor
- The new Real Time Scene Analysis System features an 86,000 pixel RGB light-metering sensor and improved algorithms that further enhance accuracy of exposure, white balance, and auto-focusing.
- Multi-Pattern Auto WB system
- A Multi-Pattern Auto WB system can be used to intelligently adjust white balance settings when mixed lighting is prevalent. For example, if both flash and ambient lighting are utilized, different white balance settings are used within the different regions of an image to more accurately portray overall color balance.
- Durable, Weather-Sealed Form Factor
- Offering a compact build for a medium format camera, the 645Z provides an ergonomic grip, large buttons, and 76 specific weather-seals to protect the camera from moisture, sand, and dust. It is capable of shooting in temperatures ranging from 14-104°F, and its aluminum alloy chassis and magnesium alloy body are durable for years of service in studio or on location.
- Dual Memory Card Slot and FLU Card Compatibility
- Dual slot SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card support ensures fast and reliable storage for high resolution image files, simultaneously saving in multiple formats, assigning images to different cards based on their original format, or easily holding one memory card in reserve. In addition to standard SD cards, the 645Z is compatible with Eye-Fi and Flucards for wireless image transfer and with the Pentax Flucard remote camera control from a compatible smart devise.
- Lens Compatibility
- The 645Z is compatible with new D FA autofocus lenses as well as older 645 lenses as well as Pentax 67 lenses via an optional adapter.
- Additional Features
- Customizable RAW/Fx button for direct access to a common shooting settings.
- An HDMI port outputs high definition images, video and sound to HDTVs.
- USB 3.0 output for high speed data transmission.
- Mirror dampening hardware minimizes the effect of camera shake and noise levels during the image capture process.
- A second tripod socket on the camera's side enables convenient and stable vertical tripod-mounted shooting.
- The sub LCD on the camera's top plate is angled for better visibility of camera setting information.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting mode with RAW-format data filing.
- Optional Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software enables seamless tethered shooting.
|Camera Type||TTL autofocus, auto-exposure medium format digital SLR camera|
|Sensor||43.8 x 32.8 mm CMOS|
|Color Depth||JPEG: 8 bits/channel
RAW: 14 bits/channel
|File Formats||Stills: RAW (PEF/DNG), TIFF, JPEG (Exif 2.30), DCF2.0 compliant
Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV) *Motion JPEG (AVI) for Interval Movie Record
|Resolution||JPEG: L (51M: 8256 x 6192), M (36M: 6912 x 5184), S (21M: 5376 x 4032), XS (3M: 1920 x 1440)
RAW: L (51M: 8256 x 6192)
TIFF: L (51M: 8256 x 6192)
|Image Quality||JPEG: ★★★ (Best), ★★ (Better), ★ (Good), RAW + JPEG simultaneous recording available
RAW: PEF, DNG
|Video Resolution||Full HD: (1920x1080, 60i/50i/30p/25p/24p)
HD: (1280x720, 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p)
|Video Recording Time||Up to 25 minutes|
|Dust Removal||Image sensor cleaning using ultrasonic vibrations "DR II" with the Dust Alert function|
|Lens Mount||PENTAX 645AF2 mount with AF coupler, lens information contacts, and power contacts (stainless steel)|
|Lenses||PENTAX 645AF2, 645AF and 645A mount lenses PENTAX 67 medium format lenses useable with adapter
SDM function: Yes
|Image Stabilization||Lens-shift type (when using SR system lens)|
|Metering System||TTL open aperture metering using 86K pixel RGB sensor|
|Metering Range||EV -1 to 21 (ISO 100 at 55mm f/2.8)|
|Metering Modes||Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering|
|Exposure Compensation||±5 EV (1/3 EV steps or 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Lock||Button type (timer-control: two times the meter operating time set in Custom Setting), Continuous as long as the shutter release button is depressed halfway|
|Exposure Bracketing||2, 3, or 5 frames, Available with Continuous, Self-timer, or Remote Control|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100 to 204,800 (EV steps can be set to 1EV, 1/2EV, or 1/3EV)|
|White Balance||Auto, Multi Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent Light (D: Daylight Color,N: Daylight White, W: Cool White, L: Warm White), Tungsten, Flash, CTE
Manual mode(s): Manual (up to 3 settings can be saved), Color Temperature (up to 3 settings can be saved), Copying the white balance settings of a captured image possible.
|Shutter Type||Electronically controlled, vertical-run, focal plane shutter|
|Shutter Speeds||Auto: 1/4000 to 30 sec.
Manual: 1/4000 to 30 sec. (1/3 EV steps or 1/2 EV steps)
|Exposure Modes||Program, Sensitivity Priority, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Shutter & Aperture Priority, Manual, Bulb, Flash X-sync Speed, USER1, USER2, USER3|
|Drive Mode||Single Frame, Continuous (H, L), Self-timer (12 sec., 2sec.), Remote Control (immediately, 3 sec., continuous), Multi-exposure (available with Continuous, Self-timer or Remote Control), Interval Shooting, Interval Composite|
|Self Timer||Yes - 12 seconds, 2 seconds|
|Remote Control||Yes - infrared (0 seconds, 3 seconds, continuous), cable switch|
|Burst Rate||3 fps, JPEG ( L: ★★★ at Continuous H): up to 30 frames, RAW: up to 10 frames, TIFF: up to 12 frames|
|Focus System||SAFOX II TTL phase-matching autofocus with 27 AF points (25 cross type focus points in the center)|
|AF Modes||Single AF (AF.S), Continuous AF (AF.C), Manual, Focus operation customizable|
|Focus Area||Spot, Select, Expanded Area AF (S, M, L), Zone Select, Auto (27 AF Points)|
|Brightness||EV -3 to 18 (ISO 100, at normal temperature)|
|Viewfinder Type||Kepler-telescopic, trapezoid prism finder|
|Viewfinder Coverage||Approximately 98%|
|Viewfinder Magnification||0.62x (55mm f/2.8 at infinity); 0.85x (75mm f/2.8 at infinity)|
|Focusing Screen||Standard: Interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen|
|Diopter Adjustment||-3.5 m to + 2.0 m-1|
|Depth of Field Preview||Optical (diaphragm stop-down), Digital|
|Eye-Relief Length||Approximately 21 mm (from view window)
Approximately 24.1 mm (from center of lens)
|LCD Monitor||3.2" 1037k-Dot Tiltable TFT Color LCD|
|Electronic Level||Displayed in viewfinder and LCD panel (horizontal direction only); displayed on LCD monitor (horizontal direction and vertical direction)|
|Live View||TTL using CMOS image sensor|
|Live View Field of View||100%|
|Live View Autofocus||Contrast detection AF (Face Detection, Tracking, Multiple AF Points, Select, Spot
Focus Peaking: On/Off
|External Flash||Hotshoe (P-TTL), high speed sync and wireless with PENTAX dedicated flash, X-Sync Socket|
|Flash Modes||Flash On, Flash On+Red-eye Reduction, Slow-speed Sync, Slow-speed Sync+Red-eye, P-TTL, Trailing Curtain Sync, contrast-control-sync, high-speed sync, wireless sync (available with a dedicated external flash)|
|Flash Exposure Compensation||-2 to +1 EV (1/2 steps)|
|Flash Synch Speeds||1/125 sec|
|Storage Media||SD, SDHC*, SDXC* memory card, Eye-Fi card, FLUCARD (*UHS-I compatible)
Dual Card Slot: Sequential save, Save to Both Dual save, Separate RAW/JPG, Copying images between slots possible
|Interfaces||Connection Ports: USB 3.0 (micro B), external power supply terminal, cable switch terminal, X-sync socket, HDMI output terminal (Type D), stereo microphone input terminal (USB Connection: MSC/PTP)
Video out: HD (via HDMI), NTSC, PAL
|Computer System Requirements||Windows: Windows 8.1 (32 bit/64 bit) / Windows 8 (32 bit/64 bit) / Windows 7 (32 bit/64 bit) / Windows Vista (32 bit/64 bit), Intel Core 2 Quad or higher, 4GB or more
Mac: Mac OS X 10.9 /10.8 / 10.7 / 10.6, Intel Core 2 Quad or higher, 4GB or more
|Power Supply||Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI90
AC adapter available: AC Adapter Kit K-AC132 (Optional)
|Material of Construction||Magnesium alloy shell over aluminum chassis|
|Weather Resistant||Yes - 76 special seals|
|Operating Temperature||14 to 104°F / -10 to 40°C|
|Dimensions||6.1 x 4.6 x 4.8" / 15.5 x 11.7 x 12.2 cm (excluding protrusions)|
|Weight||54.7 oz / 1.55 kg (including battery and memory card)|