High performance versatile speedlight brings simplicity to on-camera, remote, and multiple flash photography.
- Portable, Versatile Speedlight Unit. i-TTL Speedlight optimized for use with Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS).
- Nikon’s Precision i-TTL Flash Control. Delivers precise flash exposures and seamless fill-flash performance—even in challenging lighting situations.
- Complete Flash Head Positioning Freedom. Bounce 90°up and 7°down with 360° rotation elevates creative lighting freedom.
- Hot Shoe and Wireless Operation. Use on-camera, as a wireless master, commander or remote light source.
- Wireless Flash Control. Wireless Commander Mode controls up to 2 remote Speedlight groups and an unlimited number of compatible Speedlights. When used as a remote speedlight up to 3 Groups can be selected. Four wireless channel options help manage wireless conflicts in multi-photographer environments.
- Versatile Auto Power Zoom Coverage. Smoothly covers lenses as wide as 24mm and up to 120mm in FX-format.
- Choose From 3 Light Distribution Patterns. Using the simple slider switch on the back of the SB-700, you can optimize light quality by selecting Standard for general illumination, Center-weighted for portraits or Even, for groups or interiors.
- Streamlined Controls and Menus. Convenient Rotary Select Dial sets key functions quickly and a prominent Master and Remote control switch simplifies wireless operation.
- Flash Tube Overheat Protection. To prevent overheating, flash recycle time increases when SB-700 detects heat build-up.
- Color Filter Identification. Automatically identifies mounted hard type color filters and adjusts camera white-balance.* *With select Nikon digital SLRs
- Automatic Format Identification. Automatically senses the FX or DX-format camera in use and optimizes light distribution.
- Flash Value (FV) Lock. Locks in a specific flash output on the main subject, regardless of aperture, composition or the lens’ zoom position.* *With select Nikon digital SLRs
- Firmware Updating. Allows uploading of performance enhancement developments.* *With select Nikon digital SLRs
- Drip-Proof Mounting Foot Cover (Water Guard)*. Provides enhanced moisture protection. *Optional
Guide Number28m/92ft. (at ISO 100, 35mm zoom head position, in FX format, standard illumination pattern, 20°C/68°F) to 39m/128ft. (at ISO 200, 35mm zoom head position, in FX format, standard illumination pattern, 20°C/68°F)
Electronic ConstructionAutomatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry
Flash Exposure Controli-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash with CLS compatible cameras
Manual Flash (with Nikon Creative Lighting System digital and 35mm SLR cameras)
Distance-priority manual flash
Lens Coverage24 to 120mm (FX-Format)
Illumination patternThe light distribution angle is automatically adjusted to the camera's image area in both FX and DX formats
Other Available FunctionsTest Firing
Bounce Function (Tilt)Flash head tilts down to 7° or up to 90° with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°.
Bounce Function (Rotate)Flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180
Minimum Recycling Time2.5 sec. (approx.) with AA-size Alkaline (1.5V) batteries
2.5 sec. (approx.) with Evolta (1.5V) batteries
3.5 sec. (approx.) with Lithium (1.5V) batteries
2.5 sec. (approx.) with NiMH (2600 mAh) batteries
2.5 sec. (approx.) with NiMH (eneloop) batteries
Flash Duration1/1042 sec. at M1/1 (full) output
1/1136 sec. at M1/2 output
1/2857 sec. at M1/4 output
1/5714 sec. at M1/8 output
1/10000 sec. at M1/16 output
1/18182 sec. at M1/32 output
1/25000 sec. at M1/64 output
1/40000 sec. at M1/128 output
Power ON/OFFRotate the power switch/wireless mode switch for multiple flash units to turn the SB-700 on or off
Standby function can also be set
Required Power SourceFour 1.5 V alkaline AA-size batteries
Four 1.5 V lithium AA-size batteries
Four Rechargeable 1.2 V NiMH AA-size batteries
Flash-ready IndicatorBlinks: insufficient flash output for correct exposure (in i-TTL or distance-priority manual flash mode)
Lights up: recycled and ready to fire.
Flash Compensation-3.0 EV to +3.0 EV in increments of 1/3 EV steps in i-TTL mode
Custom SettingSound Monitor
Remote Flash Unit Settings
LCD Panel Contrast
FX/DX Format Selection
Flash Compensation Steps in Manual Flash Mode
Unit or Measuring Distance
Version of Firmware
Reset Custom Setting
Minimum Number of Flashes / Recycling Time160/2.5–30 sec. (1.5V AA Alkaline)
230/2.5–30 sec. (1.5V Evolta)
230/2.5–30 sec. (Ni-MH (eneloop))
330/3.5–30 sec. (1.5V Lithium)
260/2.5–30 sec. (2600 mAh NiMH)
Wireless Flash ModesOff
Quick wireless Mode: A:B
Wireless Communication ChannelsFour: 1, 2, 3 and 4Channels
Wireless GroupsTwo: A, B
Other FunctionsThermal cut-out
Dimensions2.8 × 5.0 × 4.1 in. (71.0 × 126.0 × 104.5mm) (Approx.)
Weight (Approx. without batteries)12.7 oz. (360g)
- AS-22 Speedlight Stand
- SW-14H Nikon Diffusion Dome
- SZ-3TN Incandescent Filter
- SZ-3FL Fluorescent Filter
- SS-700 Soft Case
Trade-ins are welcome!