Leica M in its purest form
Since the launch of the rangefinder system in 1954, Leica M cameras have been valued by many photographers as the perfect tool for capturing the fascination of a moment discreetly, quietly and spontaneously. We began writing a new digital chapter in the success story of the M-Camera - then analogue in 2006. Today, it is the Leica M (Type 262) that embodies the M-Philosophy in its purest form: with a focus on the functions essential for photography combined with clear and intuitive handling, it is one of the most compact, full-frame system cameras available, and offers you access to lenses acknowledged as being the best in the world. It is the essence of M-Photography. The perfect camera for experiencing the fascination of the M in its purest form.
- 24MP Leica MAX Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Maestro Image Processor
- Stills-Only Operation, No Live View
- Rangefinder Focusing
- Optical 0.68x-Magnification Viewfinder
- 3.0" 921.6k-Dot LCD with Gorilla Glass
- ISO 6400 and 3 fps Continuous Shooting
- Quiet Shutter Cocking Mechanism
- Compatible with M Mount Lenses
- Aluminum Top Plate, Red Leica Dot
Purveying the essence of rangefinder photography, the M (Typ 262) signals Leica's commitment to simple, straight photography while still incorporating contemporary qualities for refined image-making. Revolving around a full-frame 24MP CMOS sensor and Maestro image processor, the Typ 262 omits now-conventional video and live view features to produce a stills-only camera capable of shooting at up to 3 fps with sensitivities up to ISO 6400. An updated body design sees the incorporation of an aluminum alloy top plate, for a noticeable reduction in weight compared to typical brass plates, and a redeveloped shutter cocking mechanism is notably quiet for discrete shooting applications. Of course, as a Leica rangefinder, this model features a 0.68x optical viewfinder with split and superimposed manual focusing, automatic parallax correction, and automatic image field selection based on the attached lens. A 3.0" 921.6k-dot LCD monitor with scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass cover is also featured, however is sparingly used for solely reviewing imagery, adjusting white balance, or navigating the two-page menu system.
M (Typ 262)
Featuring a classic, minimalist appearance, the M (Typ 262) has an updated silhouette, featuring a step in the top plate, and also features a small central Leica red dot on the front panel. Aside from its distinct outward looks, the Typ 262 is also distinct among the M-range due to its omission of live view and video recording functionality, choosing, instead, to purely focus on still photography.
MAX 24MP CMOS Sensor and Maestro Image Processor
Featuring a full-frame Leica MAX 24MP CMOS sensor, this camera is able to produce high-resolution stills with marked image quality and low noise levels. When combined with the Maestro image processor, a sensitivity range of ISO 200-6400 is available, which can further be expanded to ISO 100 for working in brighter conditions.
This image processor also facilitates faster overall performance, and works in conjunction with a 1GB image buffer for sustained shooting sequences of 3 fps for up to 8 consecutive frames.
Optical Viewfinder and Rangefinder
The optical viewfinder is a large, bright-line 0.68x-magnification rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation and frame lines, which are set to match the image sensor size at a focusing distance of 6.6'. The automatic image field limiter recalls pairs of bright lines depending on the lens attached: 35mm and 135mm; 28mm and 90mm; or 50mm and 75mm.
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 47.1mm (mechanical metering basis 69.25 mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.68x).
- The top plate is made from aluminum alloy to maintain a lighter overall weight compared to M cameras featuring a brass top plate.
- Magnesium alloy body with synthetic leather covering is both durable as well as minimal in design.
- A quiet shutter mechanism benefits discreet, inconspicuous shooting methods.
- 3.0" 921.6k-dot LCD monitor is covered with scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass for enhanced durability.
- Eschewing live view and video recording, the rear monitor is used solely for stills playback and for navigating the two-page menu system.
- Simple control layout and shooting modes system permits working in manual or aperture-priority mode, with an easily accessible shutter speed dial and drive selector on the top plate.
- The rear of the camera incorporates six buttons for easy access to oft-used settings, including white balance and ISO, as well as navigational buttons.
Other Camera Features
- Leica M mount is compatible with a wide range of both current and legacy rangefinder lenses.
- Images can be recorded in either the DNG or JPEG file format.
- A top hot shoe permits working with an external flash and the top sync speed is 1/180 sec.
- In single exposure mode, up to two frames per second can be recorded. Language support: German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, and Korean.
Camera Format: Full-Frame
Pixels: 24 Megapixel
Max Resolution: 5976 x 3992
Aspect Ratio: 3:2
Sensor Type / Size: CMOS, 23.9 x 35.8 mm
File Formats: Still Images: DNG, JPEG
Memory Card Type: SD / SDHC / SDXC
Focus Type: Manual
Focus Mode: Manual Focus (M)
Viewfinder Type: Optical
Viewfinder Magnification: Approx. 0.68x
Display Screen: 3" Rear Screen LCD (921,600)
ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 200-6400 (Extended Mode: 100-6400)
Shutter Type: Mechanical
Speed: 60 - 1/4000 second in Aperture Priority Mode
Speed: 8 - 1/4000 second in Manual Mode
Speed: 60 - 0 second in Bulb Mode
Speed: 60 - 0 second in Time Mode
Metering Method: Center-weighted average metering
Exposure Modes: Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual
Metering Range: EV 0.0 - EV 20.0
Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
White Balance Modes: Cloudy, Color Temperature, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Warm White), Manual, Shade, Tungsten
Burst Rate: Up to 3 fps at 24 MP for up to 8 frames
Flash Modes: 1st Curtain Sync
Built-in Flash: No
Max Sync Speed: Mechanical Shutter: 1 / 180 seconds
Flash Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
Dedicated Flash System: TTL
External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe
Continuous Shooting: Up to 3 fps
Self Timer: 12 seconds, 2 seconds
Software System Requirements Windows: 7, 8
Mac: OS X 10.5 or later
Battery 1x BP-SCL2 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack, 7.4 VDC, 1800 mAh
Operating/Storage Temperature: Operating 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.5 x 1.7 x 3.1" / 138.6 x 42.0 x 80.0 mm
Weight 1.32 lb / 600 g with battery
Trade-ins are welcome!